Red Eclipse is the first game in the new Kontact Now series by Steve Overton. It is a Card Assisted Fire Team level of tactical combat. The player will control forces of either the United States or Soviet Union in West Germany, 1989.
The game uses a Card Assisted, Command Point system to create a very unique Command and Control system. Various scenarios will test your tactical skills using all the forces and options historically available to the leaders of that time.
Red Eclipse is based on the OODA Loop. The combination of Command Points, Leader Activations and Tactical Event Cards gives a unique Command and Control system. Leadership on the map and their tactical training determine the size and number of CP chits and impulses a side will get each turn.
Men not weapons are the focus of the game. Their state of mind, fear level, is primary as to how they will perform their tasks to accomplish their mission. Weaponry isn’t missing in the game and consists of Infantry Support Weapons, Vehicles, Close Air Support and Artillery. The three dice system shows the differences of weaponry over time. If it was in West Germany with either the US or Soviet military in 1989 we included it in the game.
There are twelve geomorphic map boards, six summer and six winter (printed double-sided on six map sheets) that allows for a wide variety of terrain that can be fought over. A Leader Campaign is included that allows YOU to have your own personal Leader on the map for use in the fifteen scenarios. We put your boots on their ground.
Can you lead your men to victory? We’ll soon know what kind of a Leader you are.
- Complexity: 6 out of 10
- Solitaire Suitability: 6 out of 10 (involves some card play)
- Time Scale: 2 – 5 minutes consisting of various impulses
- Map Scale: 50 meters per hex
- Unit Scale: Individuals/Groups/Single Support Weapons and Vehicles
- Players: 1-2 (best with 2)
- Playing Time: 1 to 3 hours (15 scenarios included)
- Six 11×17″ double-sided geomorphic maps (6 summer and 6 winter maps)
- Four Counter Sheets of 130 3/4″ counters (520 counters)
- Two Counter Sheets of 70 one-inch counters (140 counters)
- One US Tactical Event Card Deck (50 cards)
- One Soviet Tactical Event Card Deck (50 cards)
- Data Card Deck (34 “tarot” size cards)
- One Rules Booklet
- One Examples of Play Booklet
- One Scenario Booklet
- Four Player Aid Cards
- Two Terrain Effects Cards
- Three, six-sided Dice, One White, One Black and One Red
- Box and Lid
- Designer: Steve Overton
- Artist: Shayne Logan, Tony Costa, Brien Miller
- Project Director: John Kranz