On to Richmond II: The Union Strikes South covers some of the most famous campaigns of the Civil War in a single module for the award-winning Great Campaigns of the American Civil War (GCACW) series. Two of the campaigns in this module have been revised, repackaged, and rebalanced for improved play; and the third is entirely new:
- On To Richmond II (which covers the 1862 Richmond Campaign) has had the Basic Game scenarios rebalanced as needed and modifications made to the rules and victory conditions for the Advanced Game scenario.
- Grant Takes Command II (which covers the 1864 Overland Campaign) has had the various basic and advanced game scenarios revised as needed.
- The Petersburg Campaign (which covers the 1864-1865 Petersburg Campaign) is an entirely new module that covers the months of battles, mostly in the open field, that started when Grant marched across the James River in June 1864 and ended with the defeat of the Confederates at Five Forks in April 1865.
The four maps included are painted by original map artist Charlie Kibler and have been significantly revised to include all the latest GCACW terrain types including hills, swamps, dams, trails and landings. New map area has been added to cover the western portion of the Petersburg battles. The military unit counters have been redesigned by Charlie Kibler to harken back to the counters in the original games in the series but with a more modern graphical treatment.
OTR2: The Union Strikes South contains an updated version of the GCACW Standard Basic Game Rules that all the other games in the series use. The Advanced Game rules are also standardized so players will be able to move quickly from one campaign to the other.
Richmond & Petersburg Campaigns includes a massive collection of twenty-five Basic Game scenarios and seven Advanced Game campaigns, divided as shown between the three modules:
On To Richmond II includes one new Basic Game scenario, the seven original Basic Scenarios redesigned and rebalanced, and the original Advanced Game campaign scenario extensively revised:
- The Warwick Line (3 turns, April 5 – April 7, 1862)
- Johnston’s Retreat (5 turns, May 4 – May 8, 1862)
- The Gates of Richmond (7 turns, May 26 – June 1, 1862)
- Seven Pines (2 turns, May 31 – June 1, 1862)
- Stuart’s Ride (6 turns, June 12 – June 17, 1862)
- The Seven Days (7 turns, June 25 – July 1, 1862)
- Gaines Mill (2 turns, June 26 – June 27, 1862)
- Retreat to the James (3 turns, June 29 – July 1, 1862)
- The Peninsula Campaign (advanced scenario, 112 turns, April 5 – July 25, 1862)
Grant Takes Command II includes the eight original Basic Scenarios rebalanced as needed and the four original Advanced Game campaigns.
- The Battle of the Wilderness (2 turns, May 5 – May 6, 1864)
- Grant Crosses the Rapidan (5 turns, May 4 – May 8, 1864)
- Race For Spotsylvania (1 turn, May 8, 1864)
- Bloody Spotsylvania (5 turns, May 8 – May 12, 1864)
- Sheridan Rides South (4 turns, May 9 – May 12, 1864)
- Strike Them A Blow (4 turns, May 21 – May 24, 1864)
- Bethesda Church (3 turns, May 30 – June 1, 1864)
- Trevilian Station (5 turns, June 8 – June 12, 1864)
- The Overland Campaign (advanced scenario, 40 turns, May 4 – June 12, 1864)
- Marching To Cold Harbor (advanced scenario; 17 turns, May 27 – June 12, 1864)
- Grant’s 1864 Offensive (grand campaign; 40 turns, May 4 – June 12, 1864)
- If It Takes All Summer (grand campaign; 17 turns, May 27 – June 12, 1864)
Note: the two grand campaigns require the Stonewall In The Valley maps which are not included.
The Petersburg Campaign includes nine Basic Game scenarios and two Advanced Game scenarios:
- My Best Achievement (2 turns, June 15 – June 16, 1864)
- Jerusalem Plank Road (2 turns, June 22 – June 23, 1864)
- The Crater (4 turns, July 27 – July 30, 1864)
- The Fourth Offensive (8 turns, Aug 14 – Aug 21, 1864)
- The Fifth Offensive (4 turns, Sept 29 – Oct 2, 1864)
- Burgess Mill (1 turn, Oct 27, 1864)
- Hatcher’s Run (3 turns, Feb 5 – Feb 7, 1865)
- Five Forks (2 turns, March 31 – April 1, 1865)
- Retreat to Appomattox (4 turns, April 3 – April 6, 1865)
- The Petersburg Campaign (advanced scenario, 296 turns, June 15 – April 6, 1865)
- The Last Offensive (advanced scenario, 9 turns, March 29, 1864 – April 6, 1865)
OTR2: The Union Strikes South contains:
- GCACW Series Rules Booklet (about 24 pages in color)
- Three separate specific Rules Booklets for each of the above 3 games (in color including scenarios, the game as history, map gazetteer, etc.)
- Four 22″x 32″ full-color map sheets
- Five 280-piece counter sheets
- One 2-sided 11”x14” color display: GTC off map display on one side & Petersburg charts & tracks on other side
- One Terrain Effects Chart
- Two full-color Force Displays
- Two 4-page color Charts and Tables
- Two 6-sided Dice
OTR2: The Union Strikes South credits:
- Design & Development: Joe Balkoski, Ed Beach, and Chris Withers
- Original series design by Joe Balkoski
- Map Artwork by Charlie Kibler
- Counter Graphics by Charlie Kibler and Nicolas Eskubi